Becoming a Cottage Food Operator in New York

By: Eric Greenbaum

In order to operate a Cottage Food business in New York, you must register with the state as a Home Processor. The registration process is very easy.  All you have to do is fill out the application and email it to the Department of Agriculture.  Registration is free and it takes about two weeks to process an application.  When registering, we recommend that you list all products that you may make, even if you are not currently making those products.

To make things easier we have created a version of the New York application form that includes all eligible product types.  Simply download the form using the link below and fill it out. 


Form fillable PDF Application

Once you’ve filled out the form, email it to: 

[email protected]

If you prefer to print the form and mail it in use this link instead:


Printable PDF Application

Once you’ve filled out the form mail it directly to:

New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets
Division of Food Safety and Inspection
10B Airline Drive, Albany, NY 12235

Home processor registrations do not currently have an expiration date but if you move you will have to re-register.   

Please note that it is your responsibility to abide by New York’s rules for Home Processors.  You can find a description of those rules here.  Your registration will become null and void if you make or sell foods that are not allowed under New York law. For a detailed list of foods that are allowed and foods that are forbidden see our blog post here.


Eric is a baker, lawyer, scientist, and gardener. He enjoys developing and training health regulations and operating procedures. His favorite nosh is apple blueberry tart.